CALL FOR 2021 ROLL MODELS – OPEN NOW!
Calling all young womxn with a passion for skateboarding and a powerful idea to get more girls on boards in Europe!
For the second year in a row, Skateistan and Women Win are teaming up to support female leadership in skateboarding and inspire the next generation of girls to be empowered, active and healthy.
The ROLL Models programme is designed to support and create visibility for diverse womxn leaders within skateboarding and to fund the projects they’ve designed – so that the next generation of girls can build confidence, community, and life skills on and off their skateboards. ROLL Models is supported through Skateistan’s Goodpush Alliance, a knowledge-sharing platform for the social skateboarding sector.
We’re currently seeking applications from young womxn (ages 18-30) who have an idea for a project that will use skateboarding to improve the physical and mental well-being of girls (ages 5-18) and promote gender equity. The ROLL Models programme is a unique opportunity for womxn with a passion for skateboarding to connect with and support each other.
This year, we are super excited to expand the geographic scope of the programme to three new countries – Spain, Italy and France – in addition to the five countries that participated in 2020 (Germany, the Netherlands, Greece, the UK, and Belgium).
Selected ROLL Models candidates will receive:
- A place at our online ROLL Models Leadership Camp
- Eligibility to receive a grant up to €3000 to fund their idea
- Support and guidance from Skateistan and Women Win
How does it work?
A total of 25-30 young womxn will be selected to attend our ROLL Models Leadership Camp, where they will take part in leadership and skateboard programming workshops, develop their project ideas, and connect with other ROLL Models from around Europe. All camp participants will then receive a grant towards their project, as well as ongoing guidance from Skateistan and Women Win. Approximately €40,000 in grants will be awarded to the selected ROLL Models in 2021.
We are also excited to announce that this year’s ROLL Models will be selected through a participatory process involving our brand new ROLL Models Advisory Board, composed of 5 ROLL Models from 2020. The ROLL Models Advisory Board members are:
- Ruby Mateja (Free Movement Skateboarding, Greece)
- Nora Meinhardt (Halle 59, Germany)
- Merida Miller (Project Fearless, the Netherlands)
- Nanja van Rijsse (Women Skate the World, the Netherlands)
- Susanne Zimnoch (Girls Can Skate Leipzig, Germany)
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Identify as a womxn (including trans or non-binary) aged 18-30 years old
- Be based in one of the following countries: Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain or the UK
- Have an idea for a project to empower girls through skateboarding
- Be available to attend our online ROLL Models Leadership Camp ( a series of online sessions – approximately 8-10 hours total, starting in April)
Guidelines for project proposals:
- Proposed project activities must take place between 1 June and 31 December 2021
- Projects should aim to work with girls and young womxn ages 5-18 years old
- Applicants can apply for one of two seed-grant amounts:
€1500 – for individual applicants, not affiliated with an organisation/group
€3000 – for applicants that are either staff or volunteers of an existing organisation/group
We look forward to hearing about you and your idea through our short application form (details below), and please share this with any other young womxn out there who have ROLL Model potential!
How to Apply:
Use this link to complete and submit the short application form.
If you have any issues in submitting your application or have any additional questions, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘ROLL Models Application’.
While the online Leadership Camp will be primarily run in English, if you don’t feel comfortable applying in English you can ask someone to help you or submit your application in your local language. You can find more answers to common questions and full application details on our FAQ here.
We are keen to make the ROLL Models programme as inclusive as possible and actively look to support all cis, trans, non-binary and all other underrepresented groups and communities such as black, indigenous, people of colour, LGBTQI+, refugees, and migrant girls and women with or without disabilities.
Applications are open until Sunday, 28 February, 2021.